LOS ANGELES (September 12, 2011) – Look, up in the sky, er, screen! It’s a bird, it’s a monkey, it’s a honey badger! Add in Kermit and a Kardashian, Winklevoss twins and a trio – and there’s only one thing it can be – the third series of the Wonderful® Pistachios “Get Crackin’” advertising campaign. The muchanticipated spots sped onto TV screens earlier than ever – on September 10 during the inaugural "Wonderful Pistachios 400" NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Richmond International Raceway.
Season three’s stars make up one nutty constellation: Khloé Kardashian Odom and her Los Angeles Lakers husband Lamar Odom; iconic American amphibian and green activist Kermit the Frog; furry fashion plate and comedienne of “Hangover 2” and “Night at the Museum” Crystal the Monkey; Facebook twins and Olympians Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss; YouTube phenomenon and hysterical narrator of the “Honey Badger” video “Randall”; 1970s “Saturday Night Live” iconic sensation Mr. Bill™; and last, but not least, video game and social media marvel Angry Birds.
“Wonderful Pistachios is thrilled to come to our third year with three firsts for our talent – first TV commercials for Khloé and Lamar, the Winklevoss twins and Honey Badger by Randall,” said Mark Masten, vice president of global sales and marketing, Paramount Farms. “We’re also honored to have Kermit and Disney’s ‘The Muppets’ in our campaign – the first time that Wonderful Pistachios has supported a film’s theatrical and home entertainment releases.”
The collection of commercials debuted September 10 and will roll out over four months during primetime favorites such as “Modern Family,” “The Amazing Race,” “Parks and Recreation” and “The X Factor.” The ads are sure to get attention during the broadcast of the highly anticipated 63rd Primetime Emmy® Awards and season debut of “Dancing with the Stars.” The Kermit spot will air in the weeks leading up to Disney’s “The Muppets” big screen release on November 23 and again, prior to the home entertainment release.
In addition to the commercial spot, Angry Birds will release a special‐edition version of the game incorporating pistachios as an element toward the end of the year.
“Pistachios aren’t just for the holidays anymore – as sales show, consumers are changing their mindset and including pistachios on their shopping list all year round,” added Masten. “Advertising during different times of the year has resulted in double‐digit sales increases which helped drive our decision to start the television rotation sooner than in previous years.”
Wonderful Pistachios’ harvest of new commercials include:
• Angry Birds do it on the fly. The feathered farce that has defied the generation gap of gaming makes its advertising debut. However this time, it’s not pigs but pistachios that are the name of the game. With one catapulted bird, a pig gets hit and cracks the nut… high score! Low calorie!
• Khloé and Lamar do it as foreplay. Known for their playful nature on and off the camera, this too‐big‐for‐TV romance comes unshelled over something new – a pistachio. Lamar taunts Khloé like only he can… over and over again teasing her with what he’s snacking on and she wants, of course. Khloé never gets her pistachio, but we hope she does get a kiss… offscreen.
• Kermit does it ‘cause he’s green. While it may not be easy being green, Kermit has done it literally – and figuratively – for years. In this frog’s tongue‐in‐cheek spot, he talks to the audience about how he’s been green/environmental for years…just like pistachios. After all, they come in a biodegradable container – a shell! Other snacks are green with envy.
• Crystal the Monkey does it for her fans. There’s no monkey business on the red carpet when Crystal is on the scene. But she does steal the show and gets the paparazzi snappin’. As Crystal struts her stuff in a green evening gown, the crowd beckons out to her, “Who are you wearing?!” and “What’s in your purse?!” Waving to her fans, Crystal’s purse suffers a wardrobe malfunction to reveal its contents – pistachios! Let’s just say that makes Crystal go head over heels. Are those “Chimpy‐Choo?”
• The Winklevoss twins do it cautiously. The handsome duo was catapulted into the Hollywood spotlight as their story was told on the silver screen. The two take to the small screen to parody their own story. Sitting at a desk with two nameplates – Mr. Winklevoss and Mr. Winklevoss – Tyler cracks open a pistachio with one hand in a cool and unique way. Cameron tells him that the way he cracked it was a good idea and that could be huge. Tyler then asks, “Think someone will steal it?” They look at each other and then turn to the audience and say in unison – “Who’d do that?”
• The Honey Badger does it badass. The National Geographic YouTube video made famous by the over‐the‐top narration of “Randall” sets the Honey Badger against another enemy – the pistachio! Nothing is too much for the Honey Badger who quickly grabs a snake and whips it around to crack the nut open.
• Mr. Hands does it for Mr. Bill. Fans won’t have to wait for vintage SNL clips on YouTube to catch this clay character anymore. The “Saturday Night Live” star meets up again with Mr. Hands who lends a hand… this time cracking open a pistachio… and Mr. Bill’s hand! Ohh nooooooo!
• A Priest, a Rabbi and a Minister sit at a bar… and do it as a joke. Cliché gets commercialized when one of the oldest jokes in the book gets crackin’. As the three men of God sit down at the bar, the narrator’s joke gets the traditional drum roll and cymbal “rim shot” to add the final punch line.
The third season also welcomes back talent from the previous year including Snooki, R. Lee Ermey, Keyboard Cat and the Peanuts’ Charlie Brown and Lucy. The $30M campaign will be complemented by social media activities and promotions throughout its television rotation.
About Angry Birds
Angry Birds from Rovio Entertainment has taken the gaming world by storm. Rovio launched Angry Birds in December 2009, Angry Birds Seasons in October 2010 and Angry Birds Rio in February 2011. Since their release, the games have achieved more than 350 million combined downloads across all platforms, and Rovio has expanded the franchise into merchandise, entertainment and book publishing. Most recently, Rovio launched the Moon Festival update for the game Angry Birds Seasons. The first Angry Birds print publication will also be available soon.
About Disney’s “The Muppets”
On vacation in Los Angeles, Walter, the world's biggest Muppet fan, his brother Gary (Jason Segel) and Gary’s girlfriend Mary (Amy Adams) from Smalltown, U.S.A., discover the nefarious plan of oilman Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) to raze the Muppet Theater and drill for the oil recently discovered beneath the Muppets’ former stomping grounds. To stage “The Greatest Muppet Telethon Ever” and raise the $10 million needed to save the theater, Walter, Mary and Gary help Kermit reunite the Muppets, who have all gone their separate ways: Fozzie now performs with a Reno casino tribute band called the Moopets, Miss Piggy is a plus‐size fashion editor at Vogue Paris, Animal is in a Santa Barbara clinic for anger management, and Gonzo is a high‐powered plumbing magnate. With secret, signature celebrity cameos, Disney’s “The Muppets” hits the big screen November 23, 2011.
Pistachios The Wonderful Pistachios brand features upscale, premium packaging and a bold contemporary look, appealing to a sophisticated, health‐conscious consumer. Wonderful Pistachios are grown in Lost Hills, California, part of the San Joaquin Valley, the agricultural heartland of California. Grown, processed and packaged by Paramount Farms, Wonderful Pistachios are available at retail outlets and grocery stores nationwide including Albertsons, Giant Eagle, Kroger, Safeway, Vons and Wegmans, and are available in a variety of sizes. For more information about Wonderful Pistachios or the “Get Crackin’” campaign, visit www.wonderfulpistachios.com, www.getcrackin.com, www.facebook.com/wonderfulpistachios and www.twitter.com/getcrackin. About Paramount Farms Part of Roll Global LLC, headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Paramount Farms is one of a group of privately owned, affiliated companies that comprise the largest farming operation of tree crops in the world. In addition to pistachios and almonds, Paramount Farms is also the largest producer and exclusive grower of the California Wonderful variety of pomegranates. Sister company, Paramount Citrus, is the largest orange and lemon packing facility in North America, the majority of which come from its own orchards, and the largest grower of Clementine mandarin oranges in the United States.
Mr. Bill is a Trademark of Dreamsite Productions, Inc.